Sunday, February 10, 2008

I Want To Be More Like Nephi

Today was such a good day! Aside from Mark being gone and dealing with the woes of being a single parent, things here are great. It is usually Jackson who wanders down the stairs in the dark in the middle of the night in search of comfort from mom or dad. But last night I was woken up several times by Jackson and by Jace. I finally gave up and just had them sleep in my bed. Then Jackson, who was taking up more than his fair share to begin with kept getting mad at me for "squishing" him! Oh Pa-lease! Needless to say, I didn't get a very good nights sleep and I wasn't expecting much out of today just because I was so tired! But today has been great so far!

Church was excellent. That is actually what I wanted to write about. Sacrament was really good, but our lessons in Sunday School and Relief Society were great. In Sunday School, our teacher was talking about Nephi being commanded to build this ship, a task that he had never undergone before. This was all new to him, but he never complained, he just did as he was commanded (Oh, how I need to learn to be more like Nephi!).

1 Nephi 17:9 "And I said: Lord, whither shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?" Nephi knew that he needed tools to build this ship. I find it intersting that he didn't ask the Lord where to find the tools to build the ship, but he asked the Lord where to find the ore so that he could make the tools to accomplish this task. The Lord does not usually do for us what we can do for ourselves. If Nephi would have said, "Hey, I'll build this ship, but I don't have any tools. Will you make me some tools?" I doubt the Lord would have responded in a way that Nephi would have liked. Instead, Nephi knew that this was something he could do for himself and asked the Lord for guidance in finding the ore. 1 Nephi 17:10 "And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools." It was just that simple to Nephi. Sometimes I need things spelled out for me. I am so grateful for the scriptures...because I do have things spelled out for me. Simple little lessons that I learn each time I read. Things that make me realize, "I want to be more like Nephi (or Ammon, or Chief Captain Moroni)!"

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I am grateful for the gospel and that even though it may be tough at times to get out the door with three young boys who don't always want to go to church, it is well worth the struggle! I love feeling edified and learning more about the Savior and his gospel. Today was a great day!

No comments: